Thursday, June 2, 2011

The Tissue Tassel Garland Tutorial

Tissue Tassel Garlands add so much fun & drama.

Tissue Tassel Tute Time:)

Tissue tassels and tassels in general will be taking over the party world. Trust me.

I  crush hard on the charm of Confetti System. Love and Adore. Seriously + Ridiculously.
Alas, true love comes at a high price. Mama cannot afford to bedazzle her deck with the fabulosity of authentic Confetti System-so she set out to create a similar look and feel of it all. Not that my junk could ever be in the Confetti Class-I was just inspired beyond to create some cute.

I created a passel of tassels for my little chimp's Mario Kart Mustache Mania Rave. Super easy, inexpensive and so much fun + festive impact.

Note: I am a crazy, creative and quick crafter. I search high and low for help and ideas online, can never find exactly what I want, so I usually wind up experimenting, ruining about 50 samples before coming up with an acceptable version. I like to utilize what I have around the house and to make things quick and easy. Plus, I'm lazy:)


If you make them, send me a picture so I can plaster it around the web!
If you have zippo interest in making them, the charming Carmen over at the dazzling Pom Flair will be offering her version of them for sale shortly...




From the Mario Mustache Rave

Materials used~
cutting mat (with marker drawings all over it by the chimps)
tissue paper
rotary cutter
scissors (if you do not have a rotary cutter)
tape
twine or string
rope or ribbon to string tassels on


You can use any tissue paper, metallics,
cello, fleece, etc.

For ease, I started with a square size
20 inches by 20 inches
You can make these any size or varied sizes.

Cut the 20" x 20" paper in half
so you will have two sheets of 20" x 10"

Stack the two sheets on top of each other.
The 20 inch side should be horizontal to you.
I place a some kind of marker up top so I do not
cut too far. You need to leave about an inch or so up top.
I used a junky pencil for photo purposes. Once
you are a pro, you can ditch the marker-you will be able
to gauge when to stop.

Take your rotary cutter and cut strips about
1/2 inch wide up to the marker spot. Do this the entire
length of the tissue. You are cutting through both pieces
of tissue stacked on top of each other.
If you are not using a rotary cutter,
do the same with your scissors. Much easier with
a rotary, but you can use scissors in a pinch.

 Does not matter if you goof and make a wider or
narrower strip. No one will notice.
 More charming anyway.
You could also probably do more than two
sheets at a time with a rotary, I just used two
to keep it contained.

Separate the two layers you just cut.

Take one of the layers and now
turn it vertically to you.

 Fold in half.

 Fold in half again.

Now you will start at the end closest to you and fold
in 1/4-1/2 inch section. If you try to roll
or twist, the tassels with get all tangled.

Next, you can roll the end a little and
secure with tape wrapped around the center.

Quick review with
metallic, silver tissue.
Cut down to 20" x 20"

20" x10" horizontal to you.

Cut with rotary cutter in 1/2 inch strips up to your marker.

Fold in half.
Then, fold in half again.

Fold length of tassel.
Secure with tape.

All taped up.

Cut string or twine into 8" or so sections.

Wrap around center of base several times.
Leave twine of each side-this is how you will
tie to attach to garland rope or ribbon.

 Secure tassels to rope or ribbon.
Or, you could add them to a stick.
Hang them independently, bunch them, etc.

There you go! Tissue tassel cuteness!

I will be using this adorableness
for the 4th of July:)

The dessert table featured a tassel garland
and gumball garlands

tissue tassel mini cake bunting
same exact technique-just tiny:)

15 comments :

J. At Your Service said...

This is a great tute. And it looked super cool! That tiny one is to die for!

Piggy Bank Parties said...

LoVe me some PuG! LoVe me some PuG tassels!

Anonymous said...

Ok that was WAY easier than I thought it would be, thanks K! Just too cute!!

Tini Posh said...

Love..must try! About to pin it to Pinterest : )

Natalia said...

I am def gonna try this one!

Jane said...

Love, love, love this!!! Makes me :)Thanks, will do this for sure.

Granny B's said...

Super cute. Just a thought, what about cutting the paper in long strips and the laying it across the twine. Staple the stack of them in place.

carmen said...

Great tutorial. Your method is pretty clever. Thanks for the shout out:)

Audrey @ Sweet Cheeks said...

LOVE! Fab tute...the whole party was seriously OUTTA CONTROL!!! Where did you get his customized license plate? It was TOO awesome!

Audrey @ Sweet Cheeks said...

LOVE! Fab tute...the whole party was seriously OUTTA CONTROL!!! Where did you get his customized license plate? It was TOO awesome!

Melissa N. said...

GENIUS! Love it!

Unknown said...

I love this tutorial!!

Two Little Buggies said...

Adorable! Thanks for the tutorial!!!!

The Sweetest Thing said...

Loving this!! Will def be doing some for my kiddos party next month! Thanks for the great idea!

Tiffany said...

These tassles are great. What a wonderful way to use tissue paper that you get from gift bags at birthday's, Christmas, showers etc. You know we all save that tissue, swearing we'll use it again. Well, now we will :)